Snow Canyon in Spring – Snow Canyon State Park, UT.
NO OR LOW-OPIOID SURGICAL OPTIONS
Opioids have been the main treatment of Post-Operative pain for a long time, but over the last several years, physicians and patients have noted more adverse reactions or side effects. Potential Opioid risks include substance abuse, confusion, nausea, vomiting, itching, constipation and respiratory complications. Patients with sleep apnea, particularly undiagnosed, are at an increased risk for respiratory adverse effects with opioids. Additionally, some elderly patients are more likely to suffer adverse cognitive effects.
In an effort to reduce potential Opioid Abuse and the side-effects or complications, SGSC is proactively working with our Surgeons to identify other options to reduce or even eliminate the need for Opioids after surgery. SGSC Surgeons performing major surgeries, including Total Hip Replacement and Total Knee Replacements are implementing several treatments that add little or no additional costs.
Exparel is a single-dose, non-Opioid anesthetic that targets the site of your surgery, which helps control the post-operative pain for the first few days after your procedure. It is typically used for major Orthopedic, Gynecology, Cosmetic & Plastic, and General Surgeries such as Hernia Repair or Gall Bladder Removal.
- EXPAREL is a targeted anesthetic, working directly at the surgical site, unlike opioids, which are systemic and affect the entire body
- EXPAREL requires only one dose, administered by your doctor during surgery, so you have one less thing to manage afterwards
- EXPAREL provides pain control for the first few days after surgery, when you need it most
- EXPAREL is proven in clinical trials to reduce the need for opioids
- EXPAREL patients went longer before needing opioids than those who didn’t receive EXPAREL
- EXPAREL patients required fewer opioids than those who didn’t receive EXPAREL
Exparel can be used in a variety of Surgical cases, including:
- ORTHOPEDIC– Knee, Hip, Spine, Foot, Ankle, Shoulder, Hand
- GYNECOLOGY—Hysterectomy and Fibroid Tissue Removal
- COSMETIC & PLASTIC SURGERY—Breast Reconstruction, Breast Augmentation & Reduction; Tummy Tucks, Facelifts
- GENERAL SURGERY—Hernia Repair, Gall Bladder Removal, Appendectomy, etc.
Talk to your Doctor before having Surgery to see if Exparel works for you.
If you are planning on a Total Joint Replacement such as Total Hip Replacement, Shoulder Replacement, or Total or Partial Knee Replacement, Iovera may be a great option to reduce post-surgical pain.
The Iovera treatment uses the body’s natural response to cold to treat peripheral nerves and immediately reduce pain – without the use of drugs. Treated nerves are temporarily stopped from sending pain signals for a period of time, followed by a restoration of function. Iovera reduces surgical pain in Orthopedic procedures for approximately 90 days. In the case of a Total Knee Replacement, most of your surgical pain is long gone by the time the nerves regenerate.
With the Iovera system, doctors are able to deliver precise, controlled doses of cold temperature directly to the targeted nerve through a handheld device. This needle-based procedure is safe, and does not damage or destroy the surrounding tissue. The Iovera treatment does not include injection of any drugs, opioids or narcotics. The effect of this treatment is immediate and can last up to 90 days.
The Iovera treatment is very reasonable, and may be covered by your Health Insurance. If you are considering a Total Joint Replacement or other major Orthopedic surgery, make sure you talk to your Doctor about using Iovera to reduce your post-op pain.
About St George Surgical Center
Located in sunny St. George, in southern Utah, SGSC is a multi-specialty surgical facility, physician-owned and operated.
- • Board Certified Surgeon & Anesthesia Providers
- • Prestigious AAAHC Accreditation
- • Medicare Certified
- • 99.6% patient satisfaction rate
- • Extremely low infection rate, 0.037%(Natl Avg 2.6%)
- • 11,000 sq ft with 4 state-of-the-art surgery suites
- • 23-hour Overnight/Extended Stay facility (the only ASC in Southern Utah with overnight capabilities)
Competitive pricing and excellent customer service for our valued patients and their families.Learn More...